Wednesday, July 9, 2008

ANZAC Day


Since I've been here on Bribie Island in Australia for almost 2 weeks I accidentally came by a Vietnam Veterans Memorial Park on this island, while being at this park I also a word I seen a lot down here - ANZAC. In Australia, New Zealand and some other places they celebrate something called ANZAC Day, a special day for remembering and honor those who gave their lives during World War I. It's actually not ANZAC Day today, but I decided that my todays post would be a tribute for all those who gave their lives in war. Now, I am actually against war and guns, but I still thing its honorable that some people gave their lives so other could be free.

It's celebrated on 25 April every year, mainly by people from Australia and New Zealand. ANZAC means "Australian and New Zealand Army Corps" and is special army with soldiers from both countries. On 25 April 1915 the ANZAC landed in Gallipoli in Turkey and fought the turks during World War I. Many soldiers gave their lives during this war. The ANZAC were officially disbanded in 1916. Later on, Australian and New Zealand has again formed a ANZAC to fight in World War II and Vietnam War.

Today I was also able to hire a bike and go for a little trip on the other side of the island called Woorim. The island isn't actually very big. Still, only a small part of the island is covered with houses and infrastructure. Most of the island is covered by forest and are only reachable by a 4WD car. The real reason why I went to Woorim is because of the big day tomorrow. Tomorrow I want to get up early and get to the other side, before sun rice. And thats why I hired the bike too... so (hopefully) look after some nice pictures on my blog tomorrow :)

Greetings from Bongaree, Bribie Island, Australia

No comments: