Wednesday, September 10, 2008

And then there were silence...

Here in Norway things are usually going very slowly when it comes to changing things that effects many people. We learn from political systems that it's hard to actually change anything. You can vote for different political leaders. But the only change might be that you got new neighbors next door. Politicians can even agree to change something, but in real life, it has hardly any effect down to the people. I guess it's not very different from other governments...

But something that really changed fast and effected "everyone" in Norway is the digital terrestrial TV signals. I believe its only a couple of years ago I first heard something about what this is, and since then there were rumors about closing the analogue TV signals and using digital terrestrial signals instead. On September 3 it was reality. The signal was closed and tv went black (or actually snow dust) - at least on my tv.

What I realized in my new situation is how quiet it is home. I still find my self having a urge to use the remote control and then suddenly realize it's nothing there. Today, I actually tried to turn it on and thinking: "Maybe they accidentally turned the analogue signals back on?". I have to admit it will take some time to get used to not have a TV to look at. Now that I have plenty of time I can finish the books I once stared to read :)

No comments: